When we sleep our bodies undergoes an overnight fast. To break this fast we must take a meal in the morning, this first meal is the breakfast. The breakfast is a very important meal of the day as it provides the brain and body with energy to kick start your day perfectly. Eating something healthy for your breakfast should be top of your priority every morning.
Apart from giving energy to our bodies a breakfast provides other essential nutrients like iron, calcium, vitamin B as well as fiber and proteins. If these nutrients are missed in the morning it will be difficulty to compensate for in the day.
- You should take your breakfast within 2 hrs of waking up.
- For any breakfast to qualify as healthy it should provide 20-35% calories of your GDA (guideline daily allowance)
Benefits of Healthy breakfast
- Cognitive function
A healthy breakfast aids the body to restore normal glucose levels. Glucose is a very essential carbohydrate that is required for proper brain function. Also a healthy breakfast will improve your concentration and memory levels. Studies show that people who eat healthy breakfast are happier all through the day and have lowered stress.
- Long term health
Taking a healthy breakfast every morning will go a long way in reducing heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.
- Gives you sharper focus for the day.
- Breakfast reduces morning crankiness.
- Boost your metabolism.
- For people who want to shed some weight, breakfast is a meal you should never skip. Its perfect meal for weight management.
- Helps manage your eating habits and helps avoid overeating.
Eggs and kales breakfast wraps recipe
Time 55minutes | servings 4
6 kales leaves, medium sized
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
tsp kosher salt
cup fresh basil, chopped
4, 10-inchb wheat tortillas
cup plain hummus
1 tsp lemon juice, fresh
4 large eggs, chilled
- Cut and discard the stem of each kale leaf from the center, chop the leaves into one-inch pieces.
- Add the extra-virgin oil in large skillet (nonstick), heat over medium heat.
- Add grape tomatoes, fresh thyme, garlic cloves, shallots and the pepper flakes. Sauté these ingredients for about four minutes or until the shallots and tomatoes soften completely.
- Add the chopped kales and stir thoroughly. Sprinkle with salt.
- Toss the mixture and ensure the kales wilts, but remain in bright green. This should take approximately two minutes.
- Add the fresh basil and stir thoroughly. Remove from heat.
- In a shallow pan add water, about 2-3 inches and heat gently.
- Toast each of your tortilla over high heat, taking fifteen seconds per side. The tortilla should show signs of spot blackening when they are ready. Put your tortillas on a plate.
- On each tortilla, add 1 tsp of humus on top, spread the humus until the tortillas are fully covered. Spoon the mixture of kales on top of the humus.
- To your simmering water add the fresh lemon juice, stir until a vortex forms in the middle. Break the eggs into this mixture, stir gently until the white of the egg folds up.
- Cook on low for about three minutes, or until the white is set but the yolk should remain soft.
- Spoon the egg out of water and ensure no extra water is on it. Place them into one of the prepared wraps. Do the same to the other three eggs.
- Open the yolk of each egg, before folding up the bottom of the tortillas followed by the sides.
- Leave your wraps open at the top and serve warm
Nutritional facts per serving
Total fats 15g
Saturated fats 3g
Total carbohydrates 37g
This recipe is made with easy to get ingredients and qualifies as healthy breakfast. Adjustments can be made to some of the ingredients, for example you can use organic baby spinach instead of kales, and the pepper flakes are optional. The results will be similar and delicious.Loved our article ? Have some thoughts and suggestions ? Didn't found what you're looking for ? Feel free to share your thoughts in the Comments below or shoot an email to email@example.com.